Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Ya Dong


This is a photo I took somewhere off Chinatown. I heard that this uniquely shaped building has a very long history as reflected on top 1939. It has now been repainted of course. The ground floor is a traditional coffee shop, but I have no idea what takes place above. It lies in between Teck Lim Rd on the left and Keong Saik Rd on the right. Keong Saik Rd used to be the old red light district of early Singapore if I'm not wrong. The name of the building as painted right in front is pronounced as 'Ya Dong'. No idea what it means though.

3 Comments:

Anonymous alexandra said...

Indeed an amazing shape and, I'm sure, full of history.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Fang said...

If I'm not wrong I think the "Ya Dong" shld be read as "Dong Ya" which means East Asia in Chinese...

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 3:01:00 AM  
Blogger koolente said...

oh! haha....I read it the opposite way...hahaha...

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 5:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home